Thursday, January 1, 2009

Courtesy Without Flattery

Enjoying a large cheeseburger on a lazy afternoon is one of my favorite things. Five Guys Burgers always does it right for me, but today I had no idea I was doing things right for them. Maybe I was bored or wanted to pick a fight, but I found what I saw interesting and slightly irritating. After my second refill of diet Coke, I pause to skim the customer notice posted directly to the right of the drink machine and above the trash can. It read: "Customers, you are the most important person in the building the moment you walk through our doors." So does that mean me or my friend is more important? It continues,"You are not dependent on us; we are dependent on you." Who said I wanted to enter into a relationship with this restaurant? Then, the sign told me more about how I had given them an "opportunity to serve" me-me who came in here unaware of the person behind the voice calling to me from behind the cash register, heaping compliments and lavishing me with services.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all about customer service, but I'm ok if I read a sign that says, "Please keep our restaurant clean." I don't need prodding and fluff. I want my burger, and you want cleanliness. Deal. I'm a rule-follower, usually, and I just feel bad for managers that have probably gotten burned by pushy and angry customers.
I would even offer that restaurants use a similar slogan my old high school would post on their trash cans: Don't mess with ECS. Short and sweet and expecting courtesy without flattery.

No comments:


A Christmas Carol

What do I laugh at most during my work day?